The Best Questions to Ask When Deciding on Assisted Living in Chicago
Helping someone you love to choose a Chicago based assisted living community can seem like a daunting task. How do you know the right fit for their personality? Where will you find the best care that treats your loved one like the person they are, and not just a statistical aspect of their business? Where do you even start the process of looking?
- Why your facility? The best communities for senior citizens are those that provide a well-rounded environment. They should have a safe, secure setting that is well maintained while also offering activities and services that meet not only the needs of the residents but also their wants.
- What are the living options? Often when the opportunity for assisted living becomes a possibility, the reality is there may need to be options for care that range from independent to assisted to skilled care. Asking the facility the range of living options they provide will help you know what is available and will work best for your family member.
One note to consider is, if there is a diagnosis of Alzheimers, you want to ensure that the Chicago-based assisted living community is capable of providing the specialized care that is needed for those who are faced with this challenging condition.
- What care services do you provide? Many people living in settings such as these require additional assistance but may be hesitant to ask for that help. Knowing what the services are ahead of time allows you and your loved one to make informed choices that best enable them in their transition to a new phase of life. For example, a facility may offer:
- Housekeeping Services
- Medical Care
- Activity planning and coordination
- Food Services
- Religious Service Options
- And more (knowing the degree of care you need is key to finding happiness in your new living community)
- What are some of the amenities we can expect? Because the assisted living community you find in Chicago will be home for however long your loved one chooses to live there, the ‘extras’ that make a house a home should be available to them. Everyone has a different idea of what should be included in that list, but here are some ideas of what to look for:
- Onsite laundry facilities/weekly laundry service
- Beauty Salon
- Grocery and Pharmacy delivery
- Banking services
- Convenient Parking
- Guest Services
- No-hassle Maintenance
- And more (just be aware of the things that will make daily life easier and ensure that your choice of assisted living community provides you with those options)
Choosing a Chicago assisted living community doesn’t have to be stressful if you know the right questions to ask. Above everything else, remember to keep the needs of your family member the center of the search and you will find what you are looking for.