Cancer of any type is always dangerous and is always life threatening. Mortality rate in cancer is a little high, as they are diagnosed quite late. Curing the widely spread disorder becomes quite a challenging task and in some cases they are quite impossible. Pancreatic cancer occurs in pancreas of your body. Early treatments will surely save life, but pancreatic cancer is hard to diagnose in early stages. It is due to the symptoms which are similar to other illness.
The most occurring pancreatic cancer among other is adenocarcinoma. It directly damages the cells that generate digestive enzymes. Other kinds are pancreatic blastoma, islet cell carcinoma and pseudopapillary neoplasms. Risk factors of this type of cancer are numerous. Some can be prevented and periodic checkups will surely help you to eradicate cancer in the basic condition.
Image credit: pancreaticcanceraction.org
Causes of pancreatic cancer:
- Smoking: Chain smoking doubles the risk of cancer cells to be activated in the body.
- Diabetes: it also plays a great role in causing cancer symptoms due to lower level of adiponectin.
- Peptic ulcer: people who have been treated for peptic ulcer through surgery are prone to this type of cancer.
- Chronic pancreatitis: chronic inflammation of the pancreas also gives rise to cancer.
- Age: After the age of fifty, people may fell ill due to pancreatic cancer.
- Obesity: overweight and bad cholesterol provide more risks to have cancer symptoms.
- Genetic history: genetic mutations are responsible for 20% of cancer cells inducing in your pancreas.
- Race: African – American groups are found to suffer more from cancer in compare to other class.
- Gender: studies have proven that male or more affected by the ailment than fairer sex.
As predicted earlier, the symptoms are same as other illness, so the treatment of the treacherous disease gets delayed resulting in non- saving life conditions. Symptoms are vague and often take time to detect the ailment.
Effects of pancreatic cancer on your body:
- Slight condition of jaundice
- Sever weight loss
- Fatigue and tiredness felt by the sick person all the time
- Glucose intolerance
- Sudden start of diabetes
- Loss of feeling hunger leading to less intake of balanced diet
- Excretion of urine results in orange or brown color
- Pain in abdominal region
- Chillness, diarrhea, muscle spasms occurs due to increase in production of insulin
The ways to diagnose the illness:
Usually MRI and endoscopy is done to have better view of the diseases. Small tissue of pancreas is examined while biopsy is done to know more about the ailment. Treatment depends upon the level of spreading of the diseases.
Improved form of surgery and radiation helps a lot to reduce the symptoms. Chemotherapy drugs have also proven to be effective in curing the patients. Anti-angiogenesis drugs curbs the growth of cancer cells and minimize its spreading to other parts of body. Immune therapies help the body tissues to prevent the onset of pancreatic cancer.
Best to take preventive measures:
Smoking habit creates lot of health hazards. This type of cancer is one among them. Leaving non smoke cigarettes behind will surely enable to keep away from cancer. Dietary and fatty sugary foods play a main role in this form of cancer as there is increase in insulin level. Soft drinks having high level of sugar also lead to cancer symptoms.
Weight of the body more than normal also triggers cancer to enter your body. Regular exercises and well balanced diet containing lots of vegetables and fruits raises the immune system and prevent cancer to be part of your life. Regular medical checkups will surely help you to detect any form of cancer in early stage.
Devin Morris is an experienced writer, and his topics of interests are cancer related research and Oncology program planning. Many of our readers find his posts to be very informative and useful to them.