With a recent survey it is found out that a huge number of uninsured patients are struggling to pay off the hospital bills. It was found that the number of uninsured people raise to 43.6 million in 2002 which was approximately 4 millions more than year 2000. In 2003 the health insurance premiums rose by 13.9 percent.
In this meanwhile, employers has turn to be a helping hand in providing their employees with various insurance benefits. In a recent survey, the instability of insurance coverage was revealed, especially with those standing with low income groups. It was also found that the ones who were having the insurance covers were performing better than those who were not having it. The reason behind this could be the mental satisfaction or the carefree attitude because of having a health cover.
Here are a few more facts which were found during the course of the survey:
- Firstly, it was found that most of the people who were not holding any of the health covers were belonging to the lowest income groups. During 2003 it was also analyzed that 52% of individuals aging between 19 to 64 were earning less than $20,000 per year.
- Secondly, during 2003 there were 26% of the adults who were working without holding any of the insurance covers which was again 2% higher than 2001. It was also found out that while the survey was going on 17% of the adults were uninsured, but it grew to additional 9% as policies of these individuals expired during the course of 12 months.
- Thirdly, it was analyzed that half of the people who were insured under different covers were not satisfied with the services or the amount of premiums were increasing on a regular basis or many alters in the covers were taking place, which lead them to new limits with their covers.
- Fourthly, it was found that in spite of having an insurance cover, people were still paying some of the amount from their pockets other than the amount of premium. Therefore, in the survey, it was further researched what percentage of amount people are paying from their pockets in order to get the services. 41% of people, covered under insurance plans sponsored from the employers, pay on an average of $500 annually from their pockets, 36% of people paid an amount lying between $500 and $2,000 per year, and 13% of individuals have to pay approximately $2,000 or more per year, and the remaining 10% did not respond or did not know.
- Fifthly, it was found that those individuals who were experiencing a gap in the policy due to its lapse faced some problems. They were finding it difficult to pay off the high costs for any medical concern. However, those with the policy were not happy as well because of the bad experiences in spite of having a cover.
- Paying off the medical bills was considered as a huge debt because of not being covered under an insurance cover. Medical bills are creating financial hardship among many individuals as well as with their families.
The recent conflict between the uninsured people and hospitals overpayment is an indication of two basic trends in the healthcare system: a growing instability in health insurance coverage and rapid growth in health care costs. Health covers have become both inconvenient and much more expensive for those of average earners.
Now it has become necessary to come up with few latest policies in order to grant the people with a peace of mind and some of the decent health covers. Few policy alterations will be needed as the solution of addressing the root cause of these crises in the various health care policies, which could lend some access to affordable health covers.
Brandon Diggs is a blogger who loves to write on different topic on healthcare. He has been writing blogs from past few years. He currently writes for Insurance Market Quotes.