Most of the articles on internet are for people who wish to lose weight and how they can burn fat to get into a perfect shape. But some people want the exact opposite, even after consuming enough calories and working hard at the gym they do not easily put on weight. If you workout hard in the gym, eat a lot of calories and still find it difficult to gain weight then this article is for you.
Firstly, gaining weight is a natural process and you should never expect results overnight. It takes time for body to adapt to the change and will take months or even years of efforts to get the body most people desire for. Instead of thinking and putting your mind under stress, try to put in all those efforts in getting healthy diet and working out hard in the gym.
To gain healthy weight, you have to keep the following points in mind:
- Track Your Calories: The first and most important part of gaining weight is to track your calories. This will give you a direction as tracking your calories will allow you to know if you meet your calorie requirements for a day or not. Start by calculation the exact amount of calories you need in a day to gain certain amount of weight. Once you have the daily calorie requirement, try to make a diet chart that contains whole quality foods that are high in nutritional profiles like lean chicken, whole eggs, oats, and peanut butter and so on. Hence the most basic step is to prepare the framework or the diet chart and tracking the calories you consume in day.
- Focus on Whole Foods: Another important step is to focus more on whole foods and less on processed ones. Processing removes most of the nutrients in the food item and regular consumption can also cause some gastrointestinal disorders in the body. The best idea is to focus on quality foods that are rich in protein and carbohydrates like chicken breast, sweet potatoes, peanut butter etc. Try to consume most of your calories from whole foods to gain healthy weight.
- Eat Every 2-3 Hours: This is another important step in gaining weight. To keep your body into anabolic or muscle building state, you have to eat small meals every 2-3 hours. Eating small meals frequently allows your body to get into anabolic state and keep you energetic throughout the day. Never skip meals as it can put your body into catabolic state. In catabolic state, you will start losing all your muscle as it is caused due to excess training and low nutrition causing undesirable conditions like fatigue and muscle loss.
- Workout with Compound Movements: This is the step where most of the beginners go wrong. Compound exercises are exercises which focus on more than one muscle at a time and help the body in releasing Growth Hormone, helping you gain muscle faster. On the other hand, isolation exercises work only on single muscle and will only work to isolate a single muscle at a time. Hence to get big and gain weight faster you have to focus more on compound movements like deadlift, benchpress, squats, pull-ups etc. The best approach is to start your workout with 2-3 heavy compound exercises and end with 1-2 isolation exercises.
- Get Adequate Sleep: The final and most important step in getting quality sleep every day. Most of the people ignore this step as they are not aware of the fact that your body released 70% of the Growth Hormone at night while you sleep. This is the time when the muscles tissues that were damaged during the workout get repaired. Hence you should never compromise on your sleep. Better sleep automatically means more muscle.
- Some other points to keep in mind:
i) drink plenty of water to flush out all the waste and for better absorption of nutrients.
- ii) Never exceed meal timings by 4 hours.
iii) Try to workout for less time but with high intensity.
iv) Limit your workout to 45-60 minutes a day and 3-5 days a week.
v) Focus equally on both carbohydrates and proteins.
These were the important points to keep in mind while gaining weight. Do not expect results overnight as it will take time for your body to adapt to the change. For more weight gain information, articles and reviews visit my blog Gaining Tactics, follow me Google+ and Twitter
This article is intended for your general knowledge only, Learn More.