A low calorie diet is just one way to maintain a healthy figure. It does so by making you feel full without taking in so much. Although it may seem that these types of dishes are hard to cook, there are actually plenty of food recipes which are easy to follow.
Below are a few low calorie recipes you can make yourself:
Tangy vinaigrette dressing
Regardless of how most salad dressings are marketed as “healthy”, they are often anything but the thing they claim. These dressings often pack too many calories due to their sugar content. Making and using your own vinaigrette dressing is a better alternative.
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 2 pinches of salt
- ½ cup of red wine vinegar (healthier alternatives are white wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Place all of the ingredients into a jar. Seal the jar and shake well to combine.
Greek cheese omelette
A cheese omelette is a great comfort food. However, the amount of calories it packs can really make you want to reconsider the first bite. A Greek cheese omelette, on the other hand, provides the same rich flavour without the excess cholesterol. This is perfect as a low calorie breakfast or lunch meal.
- 3 egg whites (whisked until foam forms)
- ½ cup mushrooms (washed and chopped)
- ½ white onions (chopped)
- ¼ cup goat milk or feta cheese (grated or chopped to small pieces)
- ½ cup spinach (washed and chopped)
- Pre-heat the pan.
- Pour a small amount of cooking oil onto the pan. You can also use a non-stick cooking spray.
- Sauté the mushrooms and onions until they are brown.
- Add the spinach and sauté it for one minute.
- Pour the whisked egg whites on top of the vegetables. Turn the heat to low once the egg turns solid.
- Sprinkle the omelette with the goat’s milk cheese. Ensure it is evenly distributed. Let it cook for 45 seconds to make the omelette stiff.
- Use a wooden spoon or stainless steel tongs to fold the omelette.
- Serve immediately.
Lo-Cal Mediterranean pizza
Many people cannot resist taking a bite out of a warm slice of pizza. Some wouldn’t mind the amount of grease and cholesterol each slice contains because of how delicious they are. With this recipe, you will never have to feel guilty in indulging in one of your soon-to-be comfort foods.
- 1 tablespoon red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups boneless white chicken breast
- ½ cup red bell peppers (roasted and sliced)
- ½ cup yellow bell peppers (roasted and sliced)
- 2 – 3 whole wheat pizza crusts
- ½ cup of spinach
- 2 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- A handful of sun-dried tomatoes
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- (optional) 1/2 cup goat milk or feta cheese (grated)
- Rub the chicken breast with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken for five to seven minutes on a skillet over a medium heat. Cut the chicken into small cubes.
- Grill the pizza crusts for one minute over an open fire. You can also use an oven toaster to brown the crusts.
- Place the red and yellow bell peppers, spinach, tomato and chicken cubes on the crusts.
- Sprinkle the oil and vinegar around the surface of your pizza.
- (Optional) sprinkle the feta cheese on the pizza evenly. Warm in oven for a few minutes to melt.
By following the recipes above, you’ll enjoy these amazing dishes without having to compromise your calorie intake for the day.
This article is intended for your general knowledge only, Learn More.