When a person loses weight dramatically, any excess skin or fat left behind can be removed through plastic surgery. This procedure is also known as body contouring or post-bariatric surgery. The aim of this surgery to ensure any sagging skin is restored in appropriate proportions making the overall appearance attractive. Usually people prefer to get this surgery around the areas of the abdomen, buttocks, face, neck, thighs, breasts or upper arms.
Reducing excess weight from your body by a simple surgery definitely has many benefits, the top most being the overall improvement in appearance. However, one of the most dreaded outcomes of surgeries such as these is that often times after a dramatic weight reduction, the tissues or skin lack the elasticity to conform back to the new body size. This is when people engage in body contouring procedures.
Pros and Cons
The good part about post-bariatric surgery is that it will help you fit in your clothes better as your extra overhanging skin will be removed. Your self-esteem will obviously be much better plus any infections or rashes you may have been prone to on this area of the skin will be cured. However, every good thing has its own list of cons and if you must go for body contouring keep in mind that your surgery may not always turn out as you expected it to be. Just like other surgeries there will be a permanent scar left behind on the operated area of your skin. The outcome of the surgery will again be affected as you grow old, gain weight again or anything that affects your body through your lifestyle choices.
Is Body Contouring Suitable For You?
Again, this depends on how depressed you are from your overhanging skin. If you feel that even though your weight is stable after your dramatic weight loss yet your bulging skin is not going back intact to its respective area then you should probably opt for body contouring. However, a few other characteristics that you may need to consider are:
- Stable weight for at least a six month period with no further loss in weight expected.
- Your overall medical health is in good condition.
- You have a healthy, balanced diet.
- You do not engage in any unhealthy activities such as smoking, consuming alcohol etc.
- You have the medical stamina required to undergo such a surgery.
- You are pragmatic in your mentality about the outcomes of this surgery.
So you’ve decided to opt for body contouring. Now all you have to do is decide which type of body contouring procedure would you like to get done on you and inform your surgeon. This is not that difficult a choice as it looks, given the list below of choices to opt from the multiple body contouring procedures available. Each type of available procedure is specific to a particular area in your body. Therefore, wherever you feel you have overhanging skin in excess, get your body contouring done in that particular area.
– This type of body contouring is undergone mostly by women who get pregnant and have overhanging fat in their bellies. Pannus is the lower abdomen area of our body. Panniculectomy removes the overhanging area from around the lower abdomen just below the belly button.
image credit: pioneervalleyplasticsurgery
This article is intended for your general knowledge only, Learn More.