Water is the best thing you can drink to hydrate your body, freshen your palette and quench your thirst without adding to your waistline. An ice cold glass of water is crisp and refreshing, but sometimes it’s just not enough. As great as water is there are times when you want just a little bit more, but finding a healthy, tasty alternative can be really trying. Most drinks are loaded with sugars or sugar substitutes and no one wants to gain weight from liquid calories. The good news is there are other drinks, besides water you can have that will quench your thirst without packing on the pounds. Here are 7 low cal substitutes for water that will leave you slim and satisfied:
- Jeltzer: Taking 100% fresh juice and mixing it to seltzer creates an invigorating, refreshing drink that hits your sweet tooth but is still good for you. Pick a fruit, like pomegranate or cranberry as your drink’s base: they normally require a lot of sugar because they are so tart, but the seltzer cuts through their tart flavors to deliver a flavorful, fizzy taste that you’ll thoroughly enjoy. Plus, both of these fruits have great health benefits: cranberry juice helps fight against kidney stones as well as urinary tract infections while pomegranate juice is a good source of vitamins B & C. Take 1 part juice and mix with 3 parts seltzers for an enjoyable jeltzer.
- Green Tea: For years now people have been touting green tea for it’s numerous health benefits and it ability to help fight weight gain, but it is also the perfect alternative to water because it has no calories. Green tea has numerous benefits: it contains a large number of antioxidants, fights several types of cancers, reduces your risk for heart disease and naturally aids metabolism. Depending on your preference you can drink it hot or cold and thee are a variety of flavors to satisfy your taste buds.
- Flavored Water: If water is the best thing you can drink then it makes sense that flavored water is just as good. There are many flavored waters on the market, but they can contain a lot of additives and artificial sweeteners, which are unhealthy and can sabotage your waistline. Make your own flavored water by adding slices of your favorite fruit to a pitcher of water. The fruit will naturally infuse and flavor the water, giving it a little hint of sweetness that’s good for you. Plus, since there is actual fruit being used you still get some of the health benefits.
- Vegetable Juice: Vegetable juices can be quite tasty, but they can also be high in sodium, especially ones that are sold already made. Making it at home is your best bet to ensure you get all the nutritional value without it affecting your weight. Vegetable juices are naturally low on calories and are one of the best drinks to keep you hydrated, which will give you glowing skin, hair and nails. Vegetable juices are packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to promote good overall health. You can even add a couple of pieces of fruit if you want a little sweetness.
- Coffee: Studies now show that drinking coffee in moderation is a great alternative to water. As long as your not adding milk or sugar coffee has almost no calories and absolutely no fat. Coffee is beneficial to your health because it fights against type 2 diabetes, heart disease and certain types of cancer. The caffeine can boost mental clarity, but too much can cause jitters and anxiety, so try to drink no more that 3 glasses a day. Coffee is also versatile, since you can drink it hot or iced.
- Kombucha: This fermented black tea is super low in calories and super high in flavor, making it a great water substitute. Best of all it is packed with nutrients: since it is fermented it is the only drink that contains live enzymes and probiotics, helping you digest and boosting immunity. You can buy it at any health food store or make your own at home by following one of the many recipes for it that are online.
- Milk: Milk has gotten a lot of bad press lately, as there have been questions if milk is really healthy for you, especially whole milk. But the fact is it is a great substitute for water and is very healthy for you. It is loaded with vitamin D and provides plenty of vitamins and nutrition. Go for organic, low fat milk for a thirst quenching way to fuel your body.
These drinks are healthy, low cal alternatives to milk that will have your taste buds singing. They are a great way to satisfy your cravings without hurting your diet. Speak with your physician about other low cal drinks that might work for you, then sit back and enjoy.