Losing weight is a gradual process. It is a balance between exercise and the right diet. Yoga is extremely beneficial to lose weight, gain strength and tone your muscles. Out of various asanas, there are a few that help target particular areas of your body. You can do these asanas to strengthen your body and tone up your muscles.
Yoga is not just for weight loss or gaining stamina, it is a way of life. Doing yoga as a part of your workout routine will help you lose weight. Different Asanas are effective in weight loss for facial fat, arms, calf muscles, thighs, shoulder and upper arms etc.
(Image Source – Dailymail.co.uk)
Given Below are the Top 6 Yoga Poses for Weight Loss.
1. Boat Pose – Paripurna Navasana
Full boat pose works as a strengthener for hip flexors, spine, and abdominal. It helps relieve stress and improves digestion. The pose also helps tones arms and leg muscles. Women should avoid doing this pose during pregnancy and the first two days of menstrual cycle.
- Sit on the floor with your legs in front of you. Press your hands on the floor behind the hips.
- Lean back slightly and lengthen your torso. Make sure your back doesn’t round while doing so.
- Exhale and bend your knees, then lift your feet off the floor at 45 degree.
- Give your tailbone a stretch and try to lift your pubis towards your navel.
- Stretch your arms alongside the legs. They should be parallel to each other and even the floor.
- While your hips are firm on the ground, try to lift the top of the sternum.
- Stay in the pose for 10 -20 seconds.
- Exhale and sit upright in the original position.
2. Four-Limbed Staff Pose – Chaturanga Dandasana
Video credit: yogaglo
This pose requires you to stay off the ground by supporting your body on your hands and providing support to your core. This pose helps tone your arms and strengthens and tones your biceps and triceps. It also strengthens lower back muscles.
- Form your shoulder blades against your back and press your tailbone towards pubis – plank pose.
- Exhale slowly and lower your torso and legs to just a few inches above the floor.
- Have a 90 degree bend in the elbows and keep the shoulders at the same height as the elbows.
- Breathe in and hold for 1 -4 breaths.
- Inhale up to plank pose and exhale all the way down.
This article is intended for your general knowledge only, Learn More.