A pinched nerve can cause a severe pain in the neck, back, hands or legs depending upon the location of the nerve. Nothing can be more frustrating than not being able to perform routine activities due to the radiating pain. Here are 5 best exercises that would help prevent a pinched nerve in your back.
Image source: wikihow
- Lie down flat on your back with your arms resting on your sides. Now, slowly raise a leg to an angle of 45 degrees. Hold your leg for 2 to 3 seconds and then put it back down slowly on the ground. Now, workout the other leg in the same way. Repeat this cycle 4 times.
- When you get used to the above mentioned exercise, try taking it up to a new level. While laying flat on the ground, raise one leg at an angle of 45 degrees and move it in a circular fashion mid-air. Rest it down on the floor. Repeat the workout with other leg. Repeat the cycle for 4 times.
- The next exercise is a curl-up exercise. You need to lie on your back. Keep your knees bent. Put your arms behind your head to support your neck. Now, gradually lift your head and shoulders from the ground to an angle of 45 degrees. Stay in the position for 2 seconds and go back down slowly again. 10 curl-ups daily would keep your abdominal muscles healthy.
- Lie down flat on your belly. Place your palms on the floor and keep your arms bent. Raise your head, shoulders and chest by supporting yourself on your hands, tilting a little backwards. This technique is called ‘press up’. Hold up for 3 seconds and go back down slowly to lie flat again. 10 press ups, twice daily would strengthen your shoulder and back muscles.
- Lie down flat on your belly, with your hands resting in front of your head and palms touching the ground. Now, raise both your arms, shoulders, chest and your legs a few inches above the ground, so that your back gets a slight concave arch. Put your arms and legs down slowly back on the ground.
A pinched nerve in your back is a common phenomenon owing to several reasons such as inappropriate bodily movements, poor posture and physical strain etc. However, you can exercise right and avoid getting a pinched nerve altogether. These simple exercises would strengthen your muscles and maintain their flexibility. It is advisable to perform these exercises on the floor. You can go ahead and use a yoga mat.
This article is intended for your general knowledge only, Learn More.